Monday, November 10, 2014

Profile

About me: My name is Gage, and music isn't just what I do, its who I am. I take pride in my abilities as a performer and as a private instructor. I have played in many bands, but right now I am pursuing jazz as a drummer. Jazz is a very big deal to me because it is the most diverse kind of music and is filled with the most talented musicians on Earth.
I wasn't always terribly interested in teaching music until I was the low brass section leader this year. I got to see incredible growth in the rookies of the low brass and it made me realize that I could see that kind of inspiring improvement all the time if I was a band director, so thats what I decided to strive for.
My Mentorship: I found my mentorship later in the year than I should've. I started at a law office but quickly realized that wasn't my gig. If I'm not working with music, I'm not working at all. So I got transferred to North Hall Middle School to work with director of bands Rob Dugan and from the beginning it just felt right. I love working with the kids because I remember being their age and being excited to be learning an instrument. I get to see that same excitement on their faces every day and wouldn't trade that opportunity for the world.
My Future: I plan to go to Georgia State to get my masters in Music Education, then go to graduate school and get my doctorate in Conducting at the University of Georgia. From there I'll be directing either middle school or, preferably, high school band.

No comments:

Post a Comment